Pages

Thursday 1 November 2012

Audience Data

I created this survey on www.surveymonkey.co.uk which is a well-known website especially for creating surveys like the one above. I thought carefully about what questions I would ask as I wanted feedback from my audience which would help me when altering certain aspects of my magazine. After making the survey, they provide you with a link, embed code and Social network link to post on these sites and get people to respond. I decided to use the web link and copy it onto facebook pages which would interest my target audience, I also posted a link on twitter with hash tag topics which revolve around my target audience. I managed to get 12 responses to my survey and below are the results of each question.


    As you can see from the results of my survey, I found out a lot of information about what my readers seek for in a magazine.
The majority of Q1 wanted a monthly magazine which is what I produced and for those who chose weekly are the minority as not everyone enjoys the same thing.
    Nearly everyone on Q4 answered with "close up" or "band/artist" this means that readers want to see and know what they are about to read before they open the magazine. This must be essential when creating my magazine.
    Regarding Q2, people varied in the ideal price they would pay for this monthly magazine, I think I will still stick with £4.99 as I feel they will 100% be getting their moneys worth and otherwise my costs probably wouldn't be covered.
    Content people want to find in interviews is interesting facts and tour dates and relationships between other celebs. I will therefore include all this in my article such as a fact box with different quirky info about Roxy and will also discuss her different relationships throughout the music industry.

    For Q6 there was a 100% same result that my readers would prefer a print copy as opposed to reading the magazine online. This was expected as it would be more of a collectors magazine. This doesn't mean a website would not be successful, the website would contain competitions and chances for them to meet their favourite bands and artists. I will steer away from discussing lots about reading the magazine online but will encourage readers to visit the website to see extended stories and unseen videos/pictures.
    Two thirds of my respondents said that they would use an Android App if it were created which is encouraging as it means my audience are into using new media. This should mean that twitter accounts should be successful if connecting and involving my specific target audience.
    The remaining 25% who said they wouldn't use the app, may not own a smart phone and not know the full benefits and whats involved with apps - may prefer to just read info in the mag.


    When I asked what the most important aspect of a music magazine was I got mixed responses as some people said they value freebies and posters and others said interviews with artists. Also, photos were a priority in really enticing my audience and the overall appearance of the magazine will be the deciding point on whether they will pick it up and buy it. Like the first respondent mentioned "if it doesn't look good, I won't pick it up and read it".
    Twitter got the highest response in the social networking question with 11 people choosing it out of the three given, one person chose Facebook and Tumblr got 0%. This emphasizes the fact that I must use new media sites (most importantly Twitter and Facebook) to try and attract and reach out to my readers. I will 100% put twitter and Facebook logos on my contents page to let readers know that Rock magazine is part of the new media revolution.


    When asking readers if they preferred to buy CD's or to download music online by the use of iTunes and other music download programs. 11/12 people responded with the choice of downloads over CD's - this could be because the availability of buy CD's is now limited due to the shutdown of big stores like HMV who once provided all the CD's you could ever dream of. I will use this feedback to make sure that I include "free EP downloads" on the website or APP as it will target my audience directly.
    Overall, from this audience feedback data, it has helped me enormously with choosing between certain aspects of my magazine which I wasn't sure about. I now know that I will not include information about CD's but more about downloadable songs/albums. Also I will 100% keep my magazine as a print copy.

    This activity benefited me in finding out exactly what my target audience want from their perspective and not just from my opinion of what I "think" they want.

No comments:

Post a Comment